Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Ryan Clark is 'so disgusted' with the NFL

Ryan Clark

The National Football League has attempted to make the game safer for its players in recent years and this includes protecting offensive players from low hits.

Although the intentions are good, this had led many defensive players to express their displeasure publicly for what they deem as making their jobs harder. Add Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark to that list, too.

“I’m so disgusted with the NFL right now about those situations,” Clark said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “If an offensive player makes enough of a stink, they’ll change it. I know Tony Gonzalez was extremely upset about the hit on Dustin Keller.”

Clark referenced a play last season when he claims he gave up a touchdown to New York Giants receiver Victor Cruz because he couldn't take the angle toward Cruz that he wanted.

“I remember a hit I had on Victor Cruz last year, which was clearly legal, but it gave up seven points,” Clark said. “I hurt my team by doing something I deemed legal and something the NFL also deemed legal by not fining me. So you go to the other extreme. The guys know there is no way possible [to] get fined if [they] go low. It will be one or the other. Guys will hit up high and maybe risk getting a concussion or hurting a shoulder. When you get hit low, the season is going to be over. If they decide to change this rule, they might as well put flags on.”

Obviously, Clark is frustrated, but the NFL is still nothing like flag football. But more safety measures could definitely keep pushing the sport in that direction.

Via Pro Football Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment