Monday, June 17, 2013

Lem Barney apologizes for 'deadly' comments, sort of


On Sunday, Hall of Fame defensive back Lem Barney issued an apology for some comments he made last week proclaiming football was becoming more "deadly" and that the sport wouldn't last beyond another 20 years.

However, his apology wasn't for specifically what he said, but rather where he said it.

"The other day, at the Sound Mind and Body Camp, I was asked about my thoughts on football and safety,” read Barney's statement, obtained by USA Today. “While I made comments I believe to be truthful it is apparent to me now that the camp was not the forum for those comments. These are the same comments I have made for years before Congress, under oath and at numerous events for retired players and it's become second nature.

"I don't want to discourage young men from their love of the game, I just want the game to be safe. What I said were things I feel, things that happened to me, but obviously it was not the right time or place ... and I apologize to any of the coaches whom I made uncomfortable at the event. I wish all those involved in our great sport a long, healthy and SAFE career.

Barney has become an outspoken critic of the game in recent years and is currently one of many players suing the National Football League for how it dealt with head injuries.

Barney played 11 seasons in the NFL, all with the Detroit Lions, and earned 7 Pro Bowl selections.

Via Eye on Football

5 comments: