Major League Baseball teams flock south to Arizona and Florida each spring to escape the cold and snow. But as Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin found out, the relocation to a warmer climate often presents new threats, such as scorpions.
Melvin suffered a scare when he was stung by a scorpion in his condominium Wednesday night. The sting resulted in spending three hours in a local hospital.
More from Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel:
Melvin just told me that he reached down to pick up what he thought was a harmless bug with a Kleenex but it turned out to be an Arizona bark scorpion. Melvin was stung on the middle finger of his left hand and when he started experiencing numbness going up his arm, he Googled scorpion stings and decided he better go to a hospital.
"It stung me right through the Kleenex. My arm started swelling and then the numbness started going up my arm, like when you hit your funny bone. I was wondering if it might go all the way up my arm and go to my heart. I got nervous when it got up to my shoulder, so I went to the emergency room.
"They gave me (pain medication) and just watched me for a couple of hours. They said your vision can go blurry from that. It was more an education on it but my arm is still numb. First off, they tell you it's not fatal. But you can have an allergic reaction to it and need an anti-venom injection."
Melvin is expected to be okay adding, "I don't think it's that big a deal."
Wow. Close call.
Via Milwaukee Journal Sentinel