According to reports, the NHL and the players' association are set to meet this weekend to continue talks in ending the lockout. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed that the league presented its new offer to the players' association on Thursday. If accepted, a deal could be in place by Jan. 11 and the regular season could start by Jan. 19.
The two sides are slated to discuss the matter via conference call on Saturday, and are said to have tentative plans to meet in New York on Sunday.
''We delivered to the union a new, comprehensive proposal for a successor CBA,'' Daly said in a statement Friday. ''We are not prepared to discuss the details of our proposal at this time. We are hopeful that once the union's staff and negotiating committee have had an opportunity to thoroughly review and consider our new proposal, they will share it with the players. We want to be back on the ice as soon as possible.''
A person familiar with key points of the offer told The Associated Press that the league proposed raising the limit of individual free-agent contracts to six years from five - seven years if a team re-signs its own player; raising the salary variance from one year to another to 10 percent, up from 5 percent; and one compliance buyout for the 2013-14 season that wouldn't count toward a team's salary cap but would be included in the overall players' share of income.
The latest offer runs through the 2021-22 season and would allow both sides the right to opt out after eight years.
The NHL is trying desperately to avoid a situation with which they cancel the season altogether. The league previously lost the 2004-05 season over a labor dispute.
Could this weekend bring good news for hockey fans?
Via Yahoo! Sports.