Sunday, December 23, 2012

LeBron James says he won't ever compete in slam dunk contest

LeBron James - New Jersey Nets v Miami Heat

NBA fans have been clamoring for Miami Heat superstar LeBron James to participate in the Slam Dunk Contest for years now. Unfortunately, the reigning MVP ended any hopes of that on Saturday when asked during a post-game interview if he would ever consider competing.

“No," said James to Fox Sports Florida. “It’s over with. I’m getting too old. It’s a taxing season. A lot of stars play a lot of the bulk of the minutes. So they got to protect their body and understand that they got to do what’s best for them. There were times when I wanted to do it. But I came into All-Star Weekend a few times banged up and I didn’t want to risk further injury.”

His comments, which came immediately following the Heat's 105-89 victory over the visiting Utah Jazz, will undoubtedly be a buzz kill to many basketball enthusiasts who once hoped to see him compete in the annual dunkfest. The 27-year old is widely considered one of the premier dunkers in the modern era.

For the record, the Slam Dunk Contest is slated to take place during the NBA All-Star Weekend in Houston on Feb. 16. Last year's crown went to Jazz forward Jeremy Evans.

Via Sports Illustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment